Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Rule Breakers


Have you ever seen such an inspired work of art?


I've heard all the stories from other parents about their children coloring on the walls. My child was going to be different. I warned her far in advance that she would be in big trouble if she ever tried such a thing. Over and over and over I made it clear: We don't write on the walls or furniture.


I was right in the next room, watching Rachael Ray make dinner as I always do for about fifteen minutes at the end of the episode when she cooks. She was making turkey meatball subs. They looked pretty good.


I turned it off. Walked into the next room where I realized my daughter had gone silent. I should have known. Nothing good happens when Hannah stops talking.


At the moment she decided to break the rules and put that brown marker to the wall, she abandoned all sense of conservatism. She drew H's and people and squigglies all over two walls, the carpet on the stairs, the door, the floor and the kitchen chairs.


I came to an interesting moment in parenthood. The moment where that child is watching to see the reaction that is coming. She wanted to know if I would really punish her for what I had repeatedly told her was unacceptable behavior. Problem was, I only wanted to laugh. And take pictures. Her drawing of a person was the best one she's ever done! How could I not capture that for posterity? I couldn't really blame her, either. If I weren't the one that would have to clean up the mess and repaint those walls I already labored over far too long, I might be tempted to make it my extra large canvas as well.


Now, now, don't worry. I didn't perform in all those school plays for nothing. As far as my daughter is concerned, writing on walls and other various household surfaces warrants a good long time out and a stern lecture.


But I did laugh when she wasn't looking. And I took pictures. And now I'm sharing them with you.


And consider yourself warned. Don't use flat paint, unless painting brings you particular delight. Your little rule breaker will do it too. When you least expect it.

No comments:

Text-Ads