Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Is It Just Me?


The older I get, the more I realize just how weird I am.

One tends to think that they way they see the world is the way everyone sees the world, at least in the self-focused waters of youth. Now that I'm looking around at others and seeing what others are interested in and the things they talk about and do, I'm more certain than ever that I am one odd character.

And I can't lie, part of me likes that. Part of me is thrilled that when I have taken the temperament test http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm on several occasions, I have always come out a INFJ. I'm glad that I'm of a small percentage of the population. I delight in the uncommon, so I might as well delight in being uncommon.

But it can be hard. It's difficult relating to other people. It's most challenging when people misunderstand. Even husbands and relatives. I can say something, and it is heard a completely different way than I intended. I can be in a room full of people, and feel like an alien landing on earth for the first time. I am brimming with opinions and ideas and theories, but I hesitate to talk about them most of the time because I only seem to get blank stares.

Perhaps this is only my perception. It may even only be my present configuration of hormones. Maybe the things I come up with are off the wall. It's hard to judge your own self.
My consolation is that I have a Savior who understands me. I understand Him too, for He was often pegged as crazy for His ideas. I'm relieved that God can use crazy people too. Because I don't see myself fitting in much better any time soon.

No comments:

Text-Ads