Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Be Still


Be still and know that I am God.

I suppose the verse was meant for different kinds of people. To some it assures them that God is there in the midst of whatever hard time they are having. And He is. There is no trial so great that God is not big enough to handle. Be still. He says gently. Know I am God over all.

Usually when God reminds me to be still it is because I am so busy doing things and rushing around and accomplishing that I've forgotten to sit still and contemplate my Savior. I have a sort of panic within me that tries to convince me that if I arrive late or if I don't finish this project today or if the breadcrumbs sit under that toaster for another five minutes life will most certainly fall apart. It's probably a response to my horror at my capacity for laziness.

Whatever it is, I'm so glad that Jesus doesn't let me get away with it. He also doesn't nag. He just reminds me, faithfully, in that beautiful still, small voice that He's waiting. "Come, be still. Know me. I am God."

He also offers alternatives to the things I am doing. Instead of whining that my husband hasn't finished his projects, why not be thankful that he is willing to do them in the first place and do them well? Why not use the time I am waiting to practice patience? Instead of scrubbing down the house once again, maybe today I could sit out on the swing and listen to my neighbor share her struggles. Instead of searching the internet for something to buy, wouldn't my time better be spent practicing my writing skills so that maybe God will be able to use them to benefit others?

Be still. Slow down. If you're running so fast that you can't see me, how will you know who I am and what I can do?

No comments:

Text-Ads