Monday, June 18, 2007

Excuses


It's easy to be sidetracked from what's important. It's hard to stay focused. At least for me.
What is it about human nature that makes us so lazy? We spend our time and energy finding new ways to make life easier on ourselves. Am I the only one that has spent time searching everywhere for a stray remote instead of simply walking to the television and turning it on? Is there anyone else that cleans the outer layer of their home at the expense of the inner? I'm talking about the closets and drawers and basements and garages that are stuffed to the brim with junk, hidden away behind neat rooms and seemingly organized possessions. (I hope I'm not the only one with this disease.)


What is the solution to laziness? I think it has to start with an end to the excuses. Yes, there are days when fatigue or sickness plays a part. Yes, sometimes children need more attention, and sometimes there are too many other responsibilities standing in the way. But more often than not, I know I have no excuse. No excuse for sitting on the couch mindlessly flipping channels when there are three novels in progress sitting on my computer, waiting to be finished and polished and sent off to prospective agents or publishers. No excuse for internet hopping when it's been quite a few days since those bathrooms were cleaned. No excuse for me to pass up that garage door that has three very small areas yet to be painted before it is a completed project.
The solution lies in what the Bible has said all along. "Whatever your hands find to do, do it with all your might." That means even when I don't feel like it. Even when I would rather stare at the wall. Even when I can't reach down within me and muster up an ounce of motivation, I am still expected to do whatever it is that needs to be done with all my might.


Easier said than done. But in the end, totally worth the fight.

No comments:

Text-Ads