Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Yes, My Name's Written There


Tonight Hannah and I ended up watching a Billy Graham special about his wife, Ruth, who died recently. It was supposed to be a tribute to her, but it quite obviously ended up being a tribute to Jesus as the family spoke of her commitment to raising them to love Christ, and her endurance through trials of pain and illness that only made her stronger in her faith. It was very encouraging as a mother to see the passion she had for her children and her husband. May God set that fire ablaze in my own heart each day.

At one point Billy's son Franklin Graham said that his mother was now in heaven because of her trust in Christ. He asked "Do you know, if you died today, that you'd go to heaven?" My four year old daughter's face lit up and she exclaimed "Yes!" with all the gusto she could muster. I asked her why she knew that for sure. She said "Because Jesus forgave my sins and wrote my name in the Lamb's Book of Life."

Her response was a relief, an answer to prayer, as today I've been wondering if I'm really making the kind of impact a woman like Ruth Bell Graham made in her children's lives. Will Hannah still respond with such conviction when she flies from the safety of this nest we've built for her? Will Noah? And Talia?
I've always wanted no more than that my children know Christ, love Him, and serve Him passionately with all the fervor and strength He can ignite within them. But am I doing all that I can to see that happen? Am I too focused on keeping the house clean and the laundry folded and meals on the table that I'm missing what's really important?

Thank goodness God is bigger than I am. Thank goodness that all he expects of me is my best, and he's able to do the rest.

And whatever he's doing seems to be working.

Text-Ads