Saturday, September 6, 2008

Best Time of Life

I was herding my little brood through the grocery store this week when a elderly woman stopped me to ooh and ah over my children. I'm used to it. Having a 3 month old baby girl with big blue eyes is enough to catch almost anyone's attention. But something the woman said stuck with me. With a wistful look in her eye, she said "Enjoy it. It's the best time of life."


I agree that it is a wonderful time of life. I can't get enough kisses and hear enough childish laughter. I'm delighted to spend my days with three little blessings from God. And I am not looking forward to the day when they leave me and go into the world to do what God created them to do. I must confess I don't know what I'd do if I were dropping my five year old off at kindergarten instead of teaching her at home. I would miss her tremendously during the day.


But all this being said, I sure am tired. And even though some days are all sunshine and smiles, some days I secretly will bedtime to come. And some days, I just plain feel like a prisoner in my home, yearning for that writer's conference I am not going to make it to anytime soon, thinking about that leisurely stroll in the woods for inspiration that is just not going to happen without a stroller and insect repellant times four and an awful lot of whining.


So I'm thankful that a dear old lady whose name I don't even know warned me of the precious little time I really have. Today I'm counting my days more carefully because of her thoughtful reminder.

No comments:

Text-Ads