Friday, September 5, 2008

Iron Mixed with Clay



… Just as you saw that the feet and toes were partly of baked clay and partly of iron, so this will be a divided kingdom; yet it will have some of the strength of iron in it, even as you saw iron mixed with clay. As the toes were partly iron and partly clay, so this kingdom will be partly strong and partly brittle. And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united any more than iron mixes with clay. – The prophet Daniel, around 530 years B.C.

Amazing that a prophet over 2500 years ago could peg this country, this age – in such an exact way. This country, though founded with honorable intentions of freedom for all, has had numerous problems with division. Abraham Lincoln quoted the Bible as he stated that a house divided against itself cannot stand. Our people made it through that great conflict we call the Civil War only to find ourselves in our present predicament, a country slashed straight down the middle in ideals and goals.

I don’t like to get too involved in politics. I don’t like the anger it invokes, the emotions it raises, and the false sincerity that many of its players display. You’ll rarely find me saying anything about it on this blog or anywhere else I have the privilege of writing.

I must confess, however, that I have been thinking a lot about it in recent months. (How can anyone who ever turns on the tv or goes online not?) I have been listening to the main characters of this story. I don’t agree with everything either one of them stands for. I do agree with both of them on some issues. (Whether I agree or not means little, but I mean that I believe whatever the Bible has to say on any given topic.) That’s why I’ve never pegged myself as either party. But this is the first time that I have felt that one player in the game had evil up his sleeve.

I don’t know what the future of this country will be. The Bible only says that we are the toes in a great statue of kingdoms that started at the head with the Persian domination of King Nebuchadnezzar in Daniel’s time. Toes come last. I believe with great conviction that we are just around the corner from the end of time, from the final war of good and evil.

But that’s not my point today. I’m just wondering what will happen in the next few months or years in this great country that I am proud to be a part of, when all is said and done. I’m wondering what will become of this country if this certain player becomes “king.” For it’s one thing to rationalize prenatal life as inferior to our convenience. I don’t accept it, but I can see how people fall prey to this idea. And I believe the real war against abortion must be fought in our protection and interest in the other victims of this travesty – the women who are lied to and used up in an agenda of radical ideas - not on the political field.

But what of a man who had the presence of mind to vote against protection of the tiny victims of botched abortions? Even when other liberal voices could not stomach the thought of voting to end a little life that survived a first attempt on their life, laying there helpless and struggling on the table, at the complete mercy of those that had sought to destroy them, this man voted that their life should be taken. The thought of him marking that ballot makes me shudder. If he could be so callous with life, breathing and kicking and staring him in the face, what else is he capable of purporting in the office of president?

It has been said that he has a cousin whom he has been supportive of in the past who has used his power to burn the homes and property of those that call themselves Christians. It has been said that while he presents himself as an African American, he is reality under 10 percent so. He has quite blatantly attacked Biblical ideas, twisting Scripture in such a way to mock it and attempt to invalidate it.

This is a man who disturbs me. If I weren’t sure of the victory that Jesus will have upon his imminent return, this man would scare me.

Some food for thought. If you had been thinking of him more positively, I hope you will consider these things carefully. No one in the political realm is perfect, neither has any earthly king ever been. But be wary of the ones that seem to be able to stomach pure evil, and even portray it as good.

Image belongs to my dad, Tom Parsons. You can read about his recent trip out west on his blog, link to your left.

No comments:

Text-Ads