Friday, August 24, 2007

A Song Sung By a Hat

Isn't God amazing, that He can speak through the most unlikely sources? Take for instance this quote from a secular book I'm in the midst of reading. It struck me so deeply I had to stop and share it. Talk about a timely message for believers in this age! If you haven't read the book, it may seem confusing, this is a song... sung by a hat... oh, just read it.

"The houses that, like pillars four
had once held up our school,
Now turned upon each other
and, divided, sought to rule.
And for awhile it seemed the school
must meet an early end,
What with dueling and with fighting
and the clash of friend on friend
And at last there came a morning
when old Slytherin departed
and though the fighting then died out
He left us quite downhearted.
And never since the founders four
were whittled down to three
Have the Houses been united
as they once were meant to be.
And now the Sorting hat is here
and you all know the score:
I sort you into Houses
because that is what I'm for,
But this year I'll go further,
Listen closely to my song;
Though condemned I am to split you
Still I worry that it's wrong,
Though I must fulfill my duty
And must quarter every year
Still I wonder whether sorting
may not bring the end I fear.
Oh, know the perils, read the signs,
The warning history shows,
For our Hogwarts is in danger
From external, deadly foes
And we must unite inside her
Or we'll crumble from within,
I have told you, I have warned you....
Let the Sorting now begin."

- The Sorting Hat, "Harry and the Order of the Phoenix" by J.K. Rowling

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." - Matthew 12:25

2 comments:

SHAN ALPY said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Miranda said...

I chose to delete the comment because it seemed to be a nonsense question and I figured it was a prank. If the poster did have a true question about Christianity, please re-post asking a clear question. Thanks!

Text-Ads