Sunday, July 29, 2007

Confession of a Potter Fan

You caught me. I admit it. I'm here to confess.

I have fought the trendy little series of books and movies for a long time. I wasn't going to give in to the hype. Oh, not out of grudging spirituality or opposition to the teenaged wizard with the glasses, wild mop of hair and jagged scar. My protest was just because I abhor marketing gimmicks, and greatly detest being told that a book or a movie is unbelievable, the best ever, or making the most money ever made. So what? There've been plenty of popular fads that have made a great deal of money that were completely ridiculous and not worth the time spent considering.

I must confess, Harry seems to be living up to his reputation.

Now, there are two types of people who might read these words, based on the widely differing sorts of people I associate with. Some of you so far are saying So you like Harry Potter. Join the rest of us on the planet, big deal. Others are mildly surprised at my confession and may be having a thought bordering on judgmental. It's okay. I understand. I've been there. Others have simply stopped reading and gotten down on their knees to pray for my backslidden soul. Also okay. the prayers are appreciated, God knows they are needed anyway. If not for this, then certainly for something.

But before you discount my ramblings of a potter addict as not worth the exertion made to read, or before you start weeping on behalf of a fallen sister, hear me out. I'm not a fan because it's the cool thing to do. I'm a fan after careful consideration. You ask why? There are really three basic reasons.

1. Harry Potter is an imagination-stirrer. Anyone who truly knows me will understand why this is important to me. Imagination is the icing on the cake of life. Even if the cake is made of vegetables, icing makes it edible. Okay, icing on vegetables isn't a great analogy. In fact, it's just gross.. Anyway, when you enter the world of the young wizard, his life is identifiable. Teenager with troubled past enduring his school years alongside his peers. We can all relate on some level. But join his world, and suddenly you are having conversations with paintings and eating your meals lit by a thousand floating candles and spending your gym class on the back of a flying horse-like bird. I believe in imagination. I believe wholeheartedly in stretching the limits of reality, for how could we ever imagine a boundless God if we didn't think outside our human box?

2. Harry Potter listens to his teachers. Some movies made for or about teenagers tend to paint adults as idiots. The enemy. The ones who don't understand a thing about what kids are going through and so are completely unfit to provide instruction and guidance. And let's face it, with many adults, that's the truth. But when everyone is doing their job, adults are the leaders. The experienced ones who've been through it and can gently lead the young through the path of mastering life skills. Harry's teachers and role models (save his aunt and uncle) are dedicated to the bringing up of young men and women with morality and justice. They teach them to obey the rules, or face the consequences. They teach them that there is a dark side that must be fought against, and they make no secret of the danger involved in such a mission. And that brings me to my final point.

3. Harry Potter fights evil. To those who are against the wizardry elements of the series, I challenge you with this. Granted, there are words used inaccurately to describe the magical world in which they live. At first glance, it seems to be about witchcraft. But lets all face it. If this was about true witchcraft, divination, sorcery, and all of the rest of it, it wouldn't be about a fight between good and evil. It wouldn't be about love conquering darkness. And believe me, true witches and sorcerers would not be celebrating a Christmas ball! As you move more deeply into the series, and these youngsters become young adults, you plainly see truths that are biblical in nature. Do I think that the author intended them? I have no idea. But I do know God works in ways that we tend not to give Him credit for. Each and every soul granted life and breath from the Creator was given a deep and insatiable need for God. For His goodness. For His story. I'm not surprised to see my faith appear between the lines. I'm delighted, though. Nothing gets my attention more!

I will make several disclaimers, to the great relief of some of you. I am not condoning every word that comes from these books or movies, however well done they are. There are a few uses of bad language that took away from the story. (Not many, but still.) And if if the author had asked me first, I would have advised her not to use the words that so many associate with evil practices. She should have come up with a whole new system to describe the world of her imagination. I also do not necessarily think that these movies are for children. They are intense, and at times scary, especially as the characters mature and approach their later teen years. Harry's story is not full of sunshine and teddy bears. He's been through hell. Kids need to be prepared to deal with those things, and if they are too young, they aren't ready.

But those things aside, I think the bigger picture and the overall message is a positive one. Don't be a Potter hater until you give him a chance. And please, comment away on my thoughts in this post! Criticism is welcome as much as agreement.

4 comments:

sethswife said...

I too only resisted b/c of the hype, not b/c of a spiritual or moral disagreement (come on, people, Lord of the Rings anyone? There are dozens of examples of magic in stories that we readily accept.) Now I have the overwhelming task of catching up to the other Potterheads. I am at Jared and Emily's lending mercy.

Miranda said...

Yes, Jared and Emily should have a borrowing charge for all of us that are arriving late to the game! :)

Amy Russell said...

I never resisted reading, but it wasn't because of the hype. It was because my oldest son, Marc was interested & I was unsure due to the criticism I heard from many Christians. My answer to him was that I wanted to read it (book 1) first. Then I would decide if he could read it. And for all the reasons you wrote about & a few more, I was hooked!!! I just finished the last book (got it from the library at #762 on the wait list!!). Have you read it? Are you reading it?? Amazingly written & wow - I LOVED the ending. We may have to talk about this in person. I confess, I was surprised to read you are a fan too! :)

Miranda said...

Don't tell me what happens, Amy! I'm on book 2! We'll talk when I catch up. :)

I haven't taken lightly the criticism HP has received, especially from Dr. Dobson. My sister in law mentioned that he had voiced his opposition, and I was surprised - I think this is the first time I can remember ever disagreeing with him on anything. But I have the feeling that it was not read very thoroughly in the research done. I really cannot see a big difference between HP and the books they recommended as an alternative, such as Chronicles of Narnia or Lord of the Rings. The biblical truths may or may not have been intended, but they are there regardless.

That being said, it does bother me a little bit the age of the children it is marketed to. I think this is something for teenagers and adults, not kids who do not have discernment in their thinking yet. And maybe that was Dr. Dobson's point.

Sorry for the long answer. I just finished the first book and I have a lot to say!

Text-Ads