Thursday, January 22, 2009

Move That Bus!



On Inauguration Day, we broke away from homeschool at a quarter to noon in order to view the swearing-in of our new president. As President Obama took his oath and the crowd cheered, Noah, sensing a sort of excitement though he wasn't sure what was going on, eagerly stood and shouted "Move that bus!"

All jokes and "Extreme Makeover - Home Edition" comments aside, I have a few thoughts rolling around in my head that I wanted to get down. I went into more depth about Barack Obama in a previous post, about what I could find concerning his background and character. I am not writing today to say anything positive or negative about the man himself. He's our president now, and the Bible commands us to respect him as the leader God has allowed to be in control. He has my respect, and he has my allegiance - provided that what he asks of me does not oppose what my Savior requires of me. Titus 3:1 says Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and to show true humility toward all men.

What I have to say concerns the masses. Maybe you. I am troubled by the way I see people reacting to this human being who has been appointed as a leader. It would be one thing if it were just the ones who worked hard to get him elected. It would even be somewhat understandable if it were just Americans. But why are all the nations of the world heralding praises of a man who has yet to prove he even knows how to lead? What about this person does the world seem to see that makes them think he is the answer to all the problems of the world?

On the broadcast we watched, the newscaster told the story of how the elder President George Bush used to say that the presidency was hard on the knees for all the praying he did. The newscaster went on to say something along the lines of "we certainly don't see any of that here today." She was saying it as a complement. When did it become a positive and good thing to be so sure of one's self that there is no desire to pray, to be humble, to admit weakness and need for help?

Somewhere along the line, whether it be in a month or a year, we are going to see him fail. It is inevitable, because he is a man, just like every other man who walks any given street in any given country of the world. None of us can be right all the time, none of us can solve the issues of poverty and racism and strife and crime and hate. None of us can prevent natural disasters from occurring, and none of us can assure anyone else that they will see tomorrow. For a people to put their hope in a man ensures that disappointment and disillusionment will necessarily follow. It is too big of a burden to place on anyone's back, save the Lord Jesus. He IS the answer to all the ills of the world. He WILL end poverty, racism, strife, crime and hate. He WILL be King of kings and Lord of Lords, and reign over this earth with justice and fairness and love. That is the day that we all long for, whether we realize it or not. To settle for less, to settle for something or someone that cannot satisfy that longing is to set ourselves up for heartache.

If you find yourself placing your hope in man, I urge you to reconsider your values today. Christ can be trusted. His death and His return to life give us all the proof we need that He will be solving all the world's problems when the timing is perfect. And when that day comes, as I am convinced it will SOON, you DO NOT WANT TO BE on the opposite side.

Stop trusting in man, who has but a breath in his nostrils. Of what account is he? Isaiah 2:22

I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True. With justice he judges and makes war. His eyes are like blazing fire, and on his head are many crowns. He has a name written on him that no one knows but he himself. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God. The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Out of his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "He will rule them with an iron scepter." He treads the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has this name written:
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS. Revelation 19:11-16

3 comments:

sethswife said...

I had the same thoughts rolling around in my head and threatening to be written in a blog, but now I don't have to because you did it. :)

Tanya said...

I didn't hear that comment. Maybe I was on a different channel. GOOD THOUGHTS here. Well affirmed!

Miranda said...

I believe we watched the fox channel.

Text-Ads