Tuesday, May 26, 2009

But for the Grace Go I


At the risk of adding to the problem, I have to say a few things about Jon and Kate Gosselin, the unlikely focus of the scrutiny of the world.

I've been bothered by the sick fascination of the media in what might be the demise of their home and marriage. Why, when there are plenty of hollywood stars who don't mind and even expect to have their pictures plastered across every tabloid in America, are two unfortunate parents taking their place?

Everyone is a judge. This blogger subscribes to a different attitude, and I believe it might serve us all to consider this perspective.

What would happen to me, if I were the parent of sextuplets and twins? If I hadn't asked for such a monumental task, hadn't done anything to cause such an unusual twist to my life, but found myself in the midst of the unthinkable with the person I had pledged my life to?

Only a handful of people can claim to know what it's like to be Jon and Kate. And what do we do? Berate them for their choices, slam them for their faults, and kick them when they are down, wagging our fingers at their shameful fall from grace. I can't take that position. Who are we to judge another's life, another's actions, another's sins or mistakes?

They took us into their homes. They allowed us to see them as they are, not hiding anything behind a mask of secrecy. We know Kate is rather uptight and controlling. She's never tried to deny that. She has admitted time and time again that it is something God is working on her to improve. And she HAS improved over the years. She's trying. We know that Jon doesn't like the spotlight. That he feels like he hasn't been able to make his own choices since stardom took over. And who among us would really like to be followed by cameras wherever they go? Isn't rebelling against that a likely response, whether right or wrong? And hasn't he apologized several times for his actions?

They have paid their debt to society and more. What happens now is between Jon Gosselin, Kate Gosselin, their Lord, and their children. It is not my business, it is not your business. We are not owed a peek into their privacy to see how they must resolve their relationship and the remnants of their dignity.

Put yourself in their position. Imagine the heartache of something that is crumbling around you that you thought would last for the rest of your life. Imagine trying to put that back together, piece by agonizing piece, while everyone around you watches and criticizes. Imagine it, and tell them that it is all their fault. We entered a trust with them when we allowed their family to be our entertainment. We have wronged them too. We've contributed, by eating up the frenzy of ridiculous media attention that they never gave permission for. By being entertained by their painful reality. By thinking that any one of us are above them because we could have done it better.

Jesus once told a mob ready to stone a woman who was caught in sin "He who is without sin may cast the first stone." I know that I'm not. There's no way I'm picking up a stone. I have fights with my husband, I have trouble remembering not to take control in our marriage, I don't always make the righteous choice. I'm sure those tendencies would be magnified a hundred fold if I were put in the situation they have been cast into. I only walk this road but for the grace of God. I only stay out of those waters by His grace.

So for Jon and Kate and their beautiful family, I will pray. Because I know that if they were standing here in this room with me, and I asked them what I could do, that's what they would ask for. They certainly wouldn't ask for my opinion, my curiosity, my judgment or my scrutiny.

Pray for them. Don't stop. And don't feed the media attention. Give this family some privacy.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I've been hoping and waiting for you to write about this. I've been interested in your reaction and thoughts. I'm not a HUGE fan of the show, but do enjoy it. However, when the media decided to tear them apart, I felt sorry for them. We expect those on TV to be perfect and sinless, and when they fall in any way, they not only have to deal with their REAL lives, but endure the slaughter by the media and the rest of the world, who must obviously be perfect. What would I do, how would I react if my 'worst' sins were made public. The fact that they are continuing to film and share their lives is encouraging that they aren't letting the negative attention affect the decisions they have to make.

Thank you for the reminder to pray for them. If only other Christians would remember they themselves aren't sinless and to pray instead of judge.

You're a great writer, Miranda! I enjoy your thoughts!! :) Keep sharing!

Miranda said...

Thanks for reading, as always Amy!

They are a professing brother and a sister in Christ, and they deserve our support and prayer, regardless of what they have and haven't done. None of us have walked in their shoes.

We should all remember that any of us are just one bad decision away from the same place, none of us are immune to sin's effects.

Thanks, Amy!

Gwennie U said...

I do think, however, that perhaps some of this could have been avoided had the contract to have lives laid open for all to see been signed in the first place. . .

Gwennie U said...

I meant NOT been signed

Angela Nazworth said...

Excellent post and thought. I have honestly never watched the show...I tend to avoid "welcome to our world' type reality shows for some of these very reasons.

I so agree with you though that we should be praying for them and not judging...tough stuff they are facing...

Kim and my AWESOME family said...

I agree that we should not judge, and definitely agree that we should pray for them, as I have been. I have even written her an email, in hopes that a book that has GREATLY helped us, could do the same for her and her marriage. My hope is to be an encouragement to her, and I pray she will read it. However, I don't think I can say they entirely innocent as far as the media attention goes. They chose to do this......no one forced them to have this show. With that choice, they opened the door to the media frenzy that comes with it. At the end of season 4 it was very apparent that Jon did not want to continue with the show, and quite clear that Kate did. If perhaps, she would listen more to her husband rather than treat him like one of her children, some of this would not happen. Anyway, the reminder to not judge is always a good one......thank you. As you said, but for the grace of God, there go I as well! I do and will continue to pray for them. My heart ached heavily for them after Monday's show.

Miranda said...

I know that it's easy to say they should have done this or shouldn't have done that, but I still stand by the opinion that it isn't my business except to pray.

We all walk a different path, and choices that seem obvious to some of us are not so clear to others.

We can take our quiet lessons and remember them for our own decisions, but we really can't say we know what the problem is and what they should do about it. It's the natural reaction, but not what God would have us do for them.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Kim and my AWESOME family said...

I agree.....prayer is what is needed. And I'm not implying that a decision made was right or wrong. I'm just saying that when certain choices are made, consequences will be reaped for those choices.....whether we like them or not. It is no secret that if the door is opened to the media, the media will jump in with both feet. I have to say, that in some cases, I'm glad people have allowed the media in, as I have learned from them.

I don't claim to know what the root of the problem is, but I do know that God's principles are always true. And I also believe that it is not always right to remain silent. I have felt burdened for a long time to write Kate. It has taken me months to follow through on that prompting, but after praying and having my husband encourage me more than once to do so, I felt it was time. My purpose is not to criticize or to claim to know or understand the problem, but to be an encouragement. I know that God allows us to go through things in order to later be a blessing and encouragement to others. If we take what we learn and keep it to ourselves, it will never be a blessing to others. I'm certainly thankful that others have lovingly made some of my problems their business, or I would not be the person I am today. As believers, we need to encourage each other. I pray that God will bring glory to HIS name through all this!

Anonymous said...

I've never watched the show, but I believe many people largely cast their own ideas, prejudices & problems on people they view on TV. If I have a divorced friend with 3 kids whose husband was what she terms a "loser," she can't stand John. A different person who wishes she could be on a TV show and go off on book tours, disses Kate(jealous). I think it isn't about those 2, it is about the viewers state of mind & place in life at the time they are watching the show. ~Mary
I came by way of Dr John's blog.

Text-Ads