Friday, November 21, 2008

Georgianna's Medicine

Meet my great-great grandma and grandpa, Joseph and Georgianna Gilbert. Hearty pioneer souls. There's nothing dainty or delicate about these people, as you can see by their picture.

But one accidental ingestion of too much carbolic acid was the undoing of Grandma Gilbert. (You can read her story on my dad's website... http://www.tmpministries.com/GeorgiannaGilbert.htm .)

So what's my point?

I've been thinking about substances and chemicals lately. I was never much of a chemistry fan, but I recently read an excellent book by Ginger Garrett entitled "Beauty Secrets of the Bible." The name or size of this book doesn't do it justice. It was thought-provoking and lifestyle-changing for me. (You can check Ginger Garrett out on her website... http://www.gingergarrett.com/ .)

I've started to come to the conclusion that the less man-derived and synthetic products I clean with, ingest or put on my skin, the better I look, feel, and function. It seems that God's way really is the best way, at least in my personal experience. You'll have to try these things for yourself if you don't believe me.

Guys, don't check out yet. I happen to know that you suffer from dry skin and chapped lips and hair dilemmas just like the women. I'll go there first.

Would you be willing to accept the possibility that the lotion you slather all over yourself everyday in the hope it will make your skin more soft and less irritated is really making your skin worse, even if it seems to help temporarily? I have tried this for two weeks before I recommend it to you, and it really works! The answer? Olive oil. Just use olive oil instead of lotion or chapstick. (A little goes a long way, start with 2 or 3 drops!)

Ok, guys, you're free to go. Women, here are some replacements for those costly diet, beauty and cleaning products! Cheaper, far less harmful, and no chance of pulling a Georgianna! (Keep in mind that it would be hard to go completely natural in this culture. Don't give up if you can't go all the way. Any small changes you can make, you will see the results.)

(These tips come from my own research as well as "Beauty Secrets from the Bible.")

Diet

Your skin and your body were not designed for synthetics. They crave the goodness that only God's creation can provide. Dieting using the latest fad will only leave you miserable, even if you manage to lose weight. God made you to enjoy His world. Don't limit yourself when it comes to HIS foods. Give up the processed junk food, and feast on whole foods such as nuts, whole grains, organic, natural meat and eggs, and lots and lots of vegetables and fruits. If God made it, it is for you to enjoy. Eat when your stomach growls. Stop eating when you don't feel hungry anymore. And help those who are hungry. These are the only rules you will need to achieve the healthy look God had in mind when He made you. (I am looking forward to seeing God work this miracle on me as I go forward!) Remember as well to exercise. God's plan for us does not involve idleness. My workout plan right now is to keep my house clean and my children entertained. When I stop getting out of breath doing these things every day, I might have to try the gym!

Skin care

Your body absorbs whatever you put on your skin. If you put harmful things on it, it will suffer. If you put good, God-created things on it, you will benefit inside and out. My morning and evening regime consists of three things: honey (Seriously, try it! When you mix honey with water on your face it will not be sticky,) a couple drops of olive oil, and the coconut rosemary sugar scrub from "Beauty Secrets."

I've also switched my makeup to mineral products. They aren't that much more expensive, and they last longer and look better.

Hair care

Right now I use a natural lavender shampoo and conditioner I bought at my local Whole Foods Market (WONDERFUL place!) I also employ the use of coconut oil as a conditioning treatment once in a while, and if I need a clarifying rinse, I found a great recipe using apple cider vinegar, rosemary and lavender oil. (Send me an email and I'll send you the links to any of these.) I've also discovered that a mixture of chamomile and lemon juice with the aid of a blow dryer will lighten your hair (if you are a blond, there are other recipes for dark or red hair.)

House Cleaning

When I started to switch over to natural products, I was shocked how expensive these products could be. Fortunately, I've recently discovered that a big bottle of vinegar ($1.18 at Walmart) and a big box or two of baking soda ($1.28 at Walmart) will clean ANYTHING. I use it most frequently in the kitchen, where a 1 part vinegar to 2 part water in a spray bottle has become my disinfectant cleaner. If the smell bothers you, I added just a hint of myrrh (put a couple drops of essential oil in the sprayer and then rinse it out before you make your cleaner) and found that it was easier on the olfactory senses. Baking soda on your carpet gives you a deeper clean when you vacuum. These products together will get that bathroom or kitchen looking sparkly and smelling fresh. You can even clean your pets with these products, no bath required!

So if God has been nudging you lately about His desire for you to make some changes in these areas, here is my humble advice in getting started. Have fun!

2 comments:

sethswife said...

I've been using vinegar/water in my spray bottle for a long time. It may smell like a salad when you first spray it, but vinegar is a natural odor absorber...which is great in a bathroom frequented by little boys.

I'm interested to try some of the skin stuff.

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Great post!! And neat picture

Text-Ads