Friday, February 1, 2008

The Outer Fringes



Tonight as I stood in my kitchen talking to my husband, I suddenly received a blow to the abdomen by a four year old's head, a four year old eager for some maternal attention. The unexpected assault took my breath away. But for the first time in this pregnancy, my thoughts were turned to someone else who was involved.

There, inside my stomach, little feet and hands flailed in as much surprise as I had. This baby has been so quiet, so still, that it's hard to remember that there is a little person somewhere inside. Tonight he or she (my feeling says "she") made her presence known in the wake of such an injustice.

I was suprised by the feeling that overwhelmed me. Not so much that I was moved to concern for my unborn child, but that for the first time I realized that for all of the sickness and trouble that has been the past 18 weeks, there is a very good reason right inside my person - a reason that kicks in protest when his/her older sister wages an attack. A reason that sucks her thumb or gets the hiccoughs or takes a nap.

God has created life. That's amazing in itself. But to think that this protruding stomach houses one of my precious children that I will meet in 20 weeks or so - it's just overwhelming. Humbling. Who am I that He would use me for such an amazing purpose?

So tonight I appreciate the Creator of not just my daughter and my son, but my third child, mysterious as yet he or she is. This intimate and personal sharing of space with this little unknown being is showing me the beauty, the majesty, and the unbelievable creativity of a God I love more with every moment.

"...And these are but the outer fringe of his works; how faint the whisper we hear of him! Who then can understand the thunder of his power?" - Job 26:14



1 comment:

Kim and my AWESOME family said...

Thanks for the new post, Mandy! It is an amazing thing to feel new life growing within! Enjoy!

Text-Ads